quarta-feira, 7 de janeiro de 2015

Victorialand with Lights That Change - An Interview




Ao escutar pela primeira vez o último EP do Lights That Change pensei, mas isso é Cocteau Twins?

Apesar da extrema semelhança do citado ep Whispers in February com o mítico Cocteau Twins ouvindo mais atentamente o Lights That Change encontra-se ecos de Kate Bush, e claro o clima 4AD na integra permeia suas canções.

Afaste-se da comparação, mesmo ela sendo inevitável e saboreie a viagem que o Lights That Change proporcionará a você, certamente o ganho será muito maior.

***** Interview with Lights That Change *****


Q. When did Lights That Change start, tell us about the history...
Marc: I would say almost 25 years ago because one of the tracks on Rainbow On Your Shoulder EP I wrote and recorded then but the idea didn't exist as Lights That Change so over the years I would write and record these things when I had the down time in the studio, I would always label them "Theme" and give them a number. I never thought about them with vocals on them until a few close friends pointed it out.


Q: Who are your influences?
Marc: Robert Fripp because listening to Fripp made me want to do something different with the guitar, Kevin Shields because I love his ear for chords and distorted tones and Robin Guthrie for his sparkle guitar style.

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
Marc:
Number one has to be Hunky Dory by David Bowie.
Disintegration by The Cure.
Loveless by My Bloody Valentine.
Are You Experienced by Jimmy Hendrix
Beard Of Stars by Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Mandy:
Albums for me 'what I love' would be:
Aerial - Kate Bush 
Songs To Learn And Sing - Echo and The Bunnymen 
Decade - Neil Young (is his compilation one - do they count? Substitute if not) 
Uprising - Bob Marley
Songs From The Gutter - Thea Gilmore 

Q. How do you feel playing live?
Marc: It's fun. Looking forward to 2015.

Mandy: I can't wait for us perform live for the first time as LTC.

Q. How do you describe Lights That Change´s ´ sound?
Marc: A taste of 80's blended into 2015


Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs?
Marc: I would come up with a guitar idea then try and build a drum track around that put a rough bass down then edit it into a structure, then give it to Mandy (our vocalist) to write melody and lyrics then re-edit it into a song then let the John do his bass and then reprogram the drums. At the moment Mal Holmes is programming the drums for the album.

Mandy: My involvement with LTC is fairly recent. I was given a few tracks to work on by Marc to begin with, to see if i could work with him/them. I guess we share some similar musical roots and influences. Marc had heard one of my own songs and asked me if i would like to have a go at co-writing with him. Having had a listen, I felt the melody and vocals fell into place very naturally.

Even though we have so far spanned a range of moods and feelings with our co-written songs, there is a definite and I think unique LTC sound coming through in all of them.

It is an absolute joy to work with Marc and John, who are so professional and talented. Marc and I are usually in the studio one day per week and the whole process of working together seems to have started out easy and fun and is continually evolving along those lines. We are all having a great time creating this current project and very excited by it.

I particularly love waiting to hear the results of a day's recording after I have gone back home and Marc and John have added the final twists to it

Q. Which new bands do you recommended?
Marc: War On Drugs. Chris forsyth and the solar hotel band. Delinef. Golden Fable. The Joy Formidable. Blood Lips.

Q: Which bands would you love to make a cover version of?
Marc: I would love to do "Moon River", Love that song.

Q: What´s the plan for the future....
Marc: Release the album mid 2015 and do some live dates.

Q: Any parting words?
Marc: What ever you do have fun!
*
*
*
Thanks

https://lightsthatchange.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/LightsThatChange