sábado, 7 de novembro de 2015

The Colors You Left In My Mind with The Yesterday Indifference - An Interview


Diretamente de Fredericksburg no estado da Virgínia nos Estados Unidos, mesma cidade do seminal Skywave, porém seguindo caminhos completamente opostos vem o quarteto mezzo grunge, mezzo psicodélico mezzo college rock The Yesterday Indifference.

Ouvir o debute dos caras, The Color You Left In My Mind, que veio ao mundo em agosto agora sem saber do que se trata, certamente vai te conduzir diretamente aos 90´s, e inevitavelmente várias referências e conexões mentais serão feitas de imediato, não tem como, mas e daí, algum problema?

Obviamente que não, é só dar play e aumentar o som, preferencialmente estupidamente alto.


***** Interview with The Yesterday Indifference *****



Q. When did The Yesterday Indifference start?
A: Well The Yesterday Indifference basically started with me, Drew Lambert (Lead Guitar, Vocals, and Song Writer) and a band I had called buzz kill. We were a very grungy and awful band that never played a real show but it was at least a decent start. The Yesterday Indifference officially started when I found out that someone in my grade played drums and wasn't in a band, So I met him and his name is Ryan and I asked him if he wanted to be in a band and help me play some songs I wrote and sure enough he agreed! We wanted to have a cool and sort of deep band name and I had the idea of Shadowing Yesterday or Incognito and Ryan had come up with The Yesterday Indifference and I thought “well it’s kind of long but I like it!" Well some time went by and we never really did anything with the band until I started writing new material that was starting to show lots of promise and then my long time friend and buzz kill member, Brady, started taking up guitar again and his brother who was in a band at the time offered us a show and we took it and we played our first show with a pretty great response. Fast forward about 8 months and we are playing shows all over town but we have one problem, we don't have a bassist yet, well a friend of Brady's named Josh used to play the big stand up bass for our high schools band, so one day he got a cheap bass and came to us and impressed us with his playing and asked to be a part of the group and we let him in. That is the bare bones of how we formed.

Q: Who are your influences?
A: My main influences for our array of different sounds are: Nirvana, Oasis, The Laurels, My Bloody Valentine, The Germs, T.S.O.L, The Angry Samoans, Tame Impala, Alice In Chains, Pink Floyd, and many other bands. These bands are at least what influenced my song writing and sound development. I can’t speak for the rest of the band but these are my influences.

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
A: This is a real tough question for me but I'll give it a shot. I'll list albums that were the biggest influences on our sound and then add albums that I personally love.

1. Nirvana - In Utero/Incesticide. I love Incesticide because it's all of the best of the early rawness of Nirvana and In Utero because this is Nirvana at their finest in terms of song writing and sound experimentation. I mean Kurt Cobain's vocals are amazing on both of these albums and the live room sound of In Utero is absolutely electrifying!

2. Oasis - Definitely Maybe and (What's The Story) Morning Glory?. This 2 albums are perfect examples of a band knowing how to write incredibly catchy and absolutely amazing songs. With songs like Live Forever, Slide Away, Up In The Sky, WonderWall, Morning Glory, and Some Might Say, these songs are absolute master pieces of song writing, How can you not love these guys. I mean these albums taught me how important the vocal melodies of songs are.I spend so much time with the vocal melodies after listening to Oasis for months straight!

3. The Laurels - Plains and My Bloody Valentine - Loveless. Loveless by My Bloody Valentine is the Nirvana Never Mind of ShoeGaze and for good reasons the album is a masterpiece of sonic experimentation that sounds like a dreamy wave of droning guitars piercing your ears and following are the soft and dreamy vocals of Kevin Shields and Belinda Butcher to ease the sonic dreamscape. Now onto The Plains album by The Laurels, This album is the reincarnation of Loveless right down to the sonic experimentation of reverse reverb mixed with the monolithic vocal harmonies of Luke O'Ferral and Piers Cornelius along with the wonderful lyrics and guitar riffs that put you in a trance. I must urge you to listen to this band!

4. Tame Impala - Lonerism. I don't believe Tame Impala needs an introduction since they're taking over the world right now with their spaced out psych pop and epiphony pop that is a real treat to listen to. Kevin Parker is an amazing musician who made an absolute masterpiece with Lonerism and it takes you to the far reaches of outer space and to the inner reaches of an aching heart that I'm very familier with. If you like psychedelic music than this is an absolute listen.

5. The Angry Samoans - Back From Samoa. If you want some great old school punk rock that doesn't care and likes to be fast, loud, and shitty then gives this amazing album that lasts only 17 minutes a listen.

All of these albums I have listened to extensively and every single one of them have inspired songs of mine.

Honorable Mentions: Pink Floyd - The Wall, Alice In Chains - Self Titled album and Jar of Flies,


Q. How do you feel playing live?
A: I live for that feeling of playing live and pouring my heart and soul out in the form of music to a bunch of strangers who get enjoyment from it. I can honestly say there is no other feeling like it and If I am fortunate enough to eventually gain a bigger fanbase and be able to do this night after night for a living I would be perfectly happy for the rest of my life because I can't think of anything greater than expressing myself through music and having other people love it.

Q. How do you describe The Yesterday Indifference sounds?
: Well we are a mix of Grunge, Punk, Shoegaze and psychedelic rock but here's a more poetic description. We sound like an upbeat rock group who got lost some where between space and some dream like state that occasionally turns punk rock. Haha that sounds a lot more lame than I thought.

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs?
A: When it comes to writing and recording I'm the one who does almost all of it. I sit down and write a guitar part and spend hours trying to get the perfect melody, then I take it to the drums and work that out then add bass last since that's easy for me after working out the guitar part already. And I record all of the songs by myself in demo form but when we went to our friends studio we all did our parts except on the song Star Gazer that was played entirely by me. Actually the drums on Someone There (For Me) were played by our friend Michael and he looped them through out the track and it was because our drummer wasn’t available that day like he was supposed to be and I couldn’t play to the click track. Another interesting story while recording the EP is that I had done vocals for most of the songs and one night while I was recording them for another track we decided to go back and re-record the vocals for Headphone Jack since I didn’t sound like I was very energized on the original take so we re did them and decided to double track it and it sounded really good so we decided to go back and re-record all of the vocals of the tracks we had so far and double track them all as well and thank god we did because they all sounded so much better that way! I believe about 3 or 4 of Brady’s rhythm guitar tracks we done the day we decided had decided to mix the EP so we had him come in do his unrecorded parts and then went straight to mixing. I’ll elaborate a bit more on the demo recording process. After I have written the song I record the drums first then play the guitar parts and do the bass as well and finally finish off with the vocals. I use garageband to record our demos and mix all of them myself too. If you want to hear our demos go to our sound cloud page. That's about it for recording.


Q. Which new bands do you recommended
A: New bands that I really enjoy are The Laurels and Tame Impala who are both from Australia, The Laurels are Shoegaze and Tame Impala is Psychedelic pop/Epiphany pop, The Jons from Victoria, British Columbia, they are an awesome lofi soft rock band who inpired me to make a side project but I won't go into any more detail on that. I also like Mac Demarco he has the same lofi soft rock sound as The Jons.

Q: Which bands would you love to make a cover version of?
A: As previously mention we love Nirvana and we have tons of live footage of us on youtube and a couple of those performances include us doing Nirvana covers of songs like Breed and Come As You Are but I would also love to tackle some Tame Impala songs especially It's Not Meant To Be. I want to do a cover of my favorite Laurels tune called Mesozoic or even Live Forever by Oasis.

Q: What´s the plan for the future....
A: Well for the future we hope to play more shows and gain a loving fan base but right now 2 of us are in college and of course education is very important to us so we have plans to try and play once a month on either Fridays or Saturdays. We are based out of Fredericksburg and Washington DC so we typically play around there and other Virginia areas. Keep an eye out for us and keep an ear open for new music some time in the future because I'm always writing and recording.

Q: Any parting words?
A: Thank You for interviewing me I really appreciate it and I hope this was an interesting read for my first interview. Please Follow us on our Facebook, The Yesterday Indifference, and follow our band camp and soundcloud page as well. I have my sound cloud page link down here too so you can keep up with new demos of songs I release there. You can download our debut EP at our band camp page it’s free but if you want to help us out you can pay if you want. Spread the word of our band by telling your friends, your family, your dog or cat or shout our name at the top of a mountain so the whole world will know or maybe don’t haha anyways thanks again for interviewing me, Peace out!
- Drew Lambert of The Yesterday Indifference
*
*
*
Thanks

https://theyesterdayindifference.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/The-Yesterday-Indifference-792932584089456/