domingo, 13 de agosto de 2017

Listener with The Whisperer - An Interview


Kuok-Pan Wong, chinês que vive em Taiwan, apaixonado por post punk, shoegaze e dream pop, resolveu expor seus anseios, amores, desilusões e paixões em formato sonoro e assim surgiu seu projeto The Whisperer.

O debute nasceu a pouco menos de um mês, "Listener", o nome da peça, contendo quatro belos exemplos da junção de suas referências, sútil ("Living Without My Mom"), climático ("Love Disease"), romanticamente sarcástico ("Silly Love"), tudo de forma dosada, sem maiores exageros.

A estreia sugere atenção, e que venham os próximos passos do The Whisperer.


***** Interview with The Whisperer *****


Q. When did The Whisperer ? Tell us about the history...
My name is Kuok-Pan Wong, I'm from Macao. Now I'm living in Taiwan. I graduated from NTUE not long ago. The Whisperer is my first music project, I started the process from this May 'til now, since I love listening to some Post-punk/Dream-pop/shoegaze music, I decide to compose the songs of the same genres.

My faith of The Whisperer meaning,

“Sometimes we have something say to someone, but we didn't say it right at the moment. We may think that we don’t have a second chance to say. But I believe that if you do it, it isn’t totally impossible.”

So, I used music to prove that.

The logo meaning, Moon - “I come from the far of place.”

Q: Who are your influences?
I don’t have listened too many really epic musicians or bands, but these influences me fully,

The fin., Soviet Soviet, Tame Impala, U2, Coldplay, Sugar Plum Ferry, Wild Nothing…and more

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
To take my brain, I would prefer to Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming(M83), Brooklyn(Manic Sheep), Don’t Know Where It Is(DYGL), Fate(Soviet Soviet), 金光之鄉(Sugar Plum Ferry)

Q. How do you feel playing live?
Until now, I'm still looking for partners to do the performance with me, so I haven’t played the songs of the album live yet, I’m looking forward to do it.

Q. How do you describe The Whisperer sounds?
Dreamy, Whisper, Post-punk, A story with a song, mutter.

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs?
Basically, I completed the songs at home, just a laptop and my electric guitar, the details of equipments are:

Guitar: Fender Telecaster 1962 Made in Japan

Pickup: Neck pickup: Seymour Duncan Hot Rails

Bridge pickup: Seymour Duncan Little 59’

Otherwise, all of the effects and mixing are using VST plugins, I’ve learned and practiced the technique by myself, but it's simply for the demos.

Q. Which new bands do you recommend?
Now, I’m working with a musician group in Macao called “WarmWall”, which is composed of local musicians, we cooperate with the music label called “4daz-le”.

If you want to find the post genre music in Macao, I recommend you to know “4daz-le”, they have released some different albums of local artists, below:

Artist name - genre

“SINKING SUMMER” – Shoegaze/Noise-pop

“BURNIE” – UK Garage/Bass Music

“Chai Kefu Tang” – Post rock/Dreampop

“MOWAVE”(Compilation, formed by most of the musicans) – Electronic/Ambient

“SONIA KA IAN LAO” – Dreampop/Electronic/Bass Music

…and more

Recently, I have met some new bands in Taiwan, they’re “Cat in the case.”, “I mean us”, totally Shoegaze.

Q: Which band would you love to make a cover version of?
All the songs I love. LOL

Q: What are your plans for the future?
I will continue to compose my new songs, and start to do some Cantonese shoegaze songs, I’m planning to play live in Taipei on October first. I'll probably go back to Macao to do live performance as well.

Q: Any parting words?
I'm so glad to have this interview for TBTCI. It's my first time having English interview. It's new for me. Hope you understand my words and enjoy to share my ideas with you. (Handshake)

I'll keep making more music. Hope you like it! (Smile)
*
*
*
Thanks

https://thewhisperer.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/thewhisperermo/