sexta-feira, 27 de outubro de 2017

The Only Boy On The Planet by Zombie Girlfriend - Interview and Video Premiere


Com quatro discos no currículo, os hungaros do Zombie Girlfriend são daqueles preciosidades escondidas no submundo dos bons e que fazem jus ao jargão do TBTCI, "uma viagem ao submundo dos bons sons".

Psicodélicos, sonhadores e melódicos, os caras seguem criando suas pérolas com dois lados distintos, inspirados na psicodelia freak do Dandy Warhols e no frescor melancólico de gente como The Chills e Magnetic Fields o Zombie Girlfriend chega as páginas do TBTCI, tardiamente, diga-se de passagem, pelo intermédio do comparsa dos bons sons, Ansel Garcia, ou "psychogazer", ativista dos bons sons através tanto do "psychogazer como de sua página "Indie in Red". Ansel fez a ponte entre o Zombie Girlfriend e o TBTCI para além de desvendarmos mais a fundo quem são os caras, mas também pela premiere do novo single/vídeo dos caras, a viciante "The Only Boy On The Planet", que gera uma conexão ainda mais efetiva com heróis chamados The Only Ones.

Se por ventura você não conhece o Zombie Girlfriend, chegou o momento de você se redimir..


***** Interview with Zombie Girlfriend *****


Q. When did Zombie Girlfriend start? Tell us about the history...
A: It all started in a children's library in my hometown. That's where I started recording with the help of a friend. I was writing songs in my bedroom - I guess my story is not that special, huh,,, I soon moved to Budapest, assembled a band, played a few gigs home and abroad, then moved on to pursue other projects. It took me four years to realize that I can't live without this band, so here we are now, starting all over again.

Q: Who are your influences?
A: I used to be a music journalist and I still have the toxic habit of listening to hundreds of new records a year. I listen to all kinds of stuff but if you're interested in my all-time favorites who directly influenced the way Zombie Girlfriend sounds, I would say The Chills, The Clientele, The Magnteic Fields, Black Moth Super Rainbpw, early Dandy Warhols, children's songs and gregorian chants.

Q. Make a list of 5 albums of all time…
A: That's impossible but I guess you know that so just for the fun of it...
The Clientele: Suburban Light
Black Moth Super Rainbow: Dandelion Gum
The Velvet Underground: The Velvet Underground & Nico
The Dandy Warhols: Dandys Rule OK
The Chills: Submarine Bells

Q. How do you feel playing live? A:I love it, especially with Zombie Girlfriend. It's like being in a cartoon band, all the energy and the rush of adrenaline. Plus the people in the band are really great.


Q. How do you describe Zombie Girlfriend sounds?
A: At its best Zombie Girlfriend sounds like running through a vast green field in heavy wind with a storm brewing on the pink, blue and gray horizon. I always had this mental image of people singing wonderful three-part melodies while distorted guitars are being drenched in oceans of reverb. I hope we can be those people.

Q: Tell us about the process of recording the songs ?
A: Up until now it was mostly me in different home studios. Now we finally started recording our next LP with the whole band so I think this is the first time people can actually hear all of us.

Q. Which new bands do you recommend?
A: Ok, I'm going to mention a few Hungarian bands because they're wonderful. Gustave Tiger plays music that manages to be chaotic, raw and beautiful at the same time. It's like being run over by tanks while angels are singing christmas carols. Mayberian Sanskülotts is a really special band that merges dream pop, new wave á la The Cure circa 1984, coldwave and otherworldy, unbelievable melodies. The Somersault Boy is our bass player Laci's band. They play irresistible power pop with big hooks and you wouldn't believe they're not from the US.

Q: Which band would you love to made a cover version of?
A: I think I've already made that one. I covered The Oncoming Day by The Chills in 2011. It's funny because I just posted that song on Facebook and Martin Phillips liked it so I guess I can die happily now, haha.

Q: What are your plans for the future?
A: I want to tour as much as possible with Zombie Girlfriend while being grateful to be in this band with all these great people.

Q: Any parting words?
A: There was a time when I thought there will be no more Zombie Girlfriend so this is like a dream for me. I try and enjoy it while it lasts. And I'd like to thank Ansel Garcia for directing me here. People of the world, I hope we'll meet as many of you as we can.
*
*
*
Thanks

https://zombiegirlfriend.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zombie-Girlfriend/118406744890277